Introduction to school laboratory procedures (2): Storing of organic chemicals. Safety and risk assessment. Inorganic and organic chemicals at home. Kitchen-chemistry. Hand-making of crystal and molecular structural models. Handling of the chemical waste.
Selected subjects: Periodic system of elements. Properties of chemical elements. Metals and their compounds. Non-metals and their compounds. Hydrocarbons and their halogenated derivatives (obtaining and properties). Alcohols, phenols and ethers. Carboxylic acids and their derivatives. Sugars. Amino acids. Proteins and enzymes. Synthetic polymers. Earth, Water and Air Pollution.
Methodology: During the course student are further developing previously acquired knowledge and skills. Each student gets (or choose) one (or several) chemical demonstrations in order to organize learner-centered and inquiry-learning based chemistry lessons. For the planned lessons student has to define the aimed teaching goals. Also, learning outcomes, skills and competences that pupils need to have acquired and developed before, in order to participate in the planned lecture, have to be defined. It is obligatory to prepare and master performance of the chosen experiments, to present them to the teacher and peers from the study-group and to present and explain the aimed teaching goals. Correspondingly, working-sheets, appropriate power-point presentation and other needed didactical materials have to be prepared, presented and explained. Teacher and the peers form the study-group assess and comment methodical and didactical characteristics of the presented lesson and given presentation.
- ---: Grupa autora, Praktikum metodike nastave kemije 2, skripta za internu uporabu, 2011.
- ---: Niz kemijskih udžbenika, domaćih i stranih, za sve razine učenja kemije.
- ---: M. Sikirica, Zbirka kemijskih pokusa za osnovnu i srednju školu, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2011.
- ---: M. Sikirica, Metodika nastave kemije, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2003.
- ---: Međunarodni časopisi koji se bave kemijskim obrazovanjem: Education in Chemistry, Journal of Chemical Education, Naturwissenschaften im Unterricht Chemie.