The course objective of this subject is to design and perform a multidisciplinary research in which are combined the methods of field work, flora mapping, plant determination, pollen analysis, molecular systematic methods and different computer programs. Used methods, as a whole or individually, are simple and applicable in various forms of teaching biology in secondary schools.
1. Learn how to correctly collect and prepare plant material
2. Recognize the most common plant families in Croatia
3. Master terminology and techniques necessary in plant determination
4. Use flora mapping methods
5. Analyse and evaluate the flora of an area
6. Identify the main types of spores and pollen grains.
7. Isolate DNA from fresh and preserved tissue and apply basic molecular methods
8. Calculate genetic distances based on DNA data and construct phylogenetic trees
9. Use different databases and computer programs freely available on the Internet
10. Apply all steps of scientific research in practice