COURSE AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
Insight into the basis of sociological theoretical approaches and the methods of analyzing education. Understanding social characteristics and the stipulation of modern educational systems and their microsocial processes ( how social relations, institutions and processes influence education and its development, the influences of globalization and European integration regarding development of education). Understanding social functions of education(socialization, assurance of adequate professional structures of society, cultural transmission, the reproduction of social structures, the role of education in the processes of globalization and European integration, etc.). Understanding how the social environment of schools influences its work. Qualification for the development of the school's co-operation with the social environment the school is situated in. Understanding and qualification for the development of schools as social systems. Teaching and doing in keeping with the democratic systems of values and principles ( pluralism, interculturalism, democracy, tolerance, human rights sex equality, social equality and justice, the rule of rights, etc.). Qualification for the participation in making decisions and taking over the responsibility for the development of schools.
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND SYLLABUS:
The subject of educational sociology and the review theoretical-methodological approaches (functionalism, Marxism, neomarxism, social constructivism, social interactionism, postmodernism, deconstructionism,etc.).
The social functions of school (socialization, profession/occupation, cultural transmission, social control, selection and alocation, etc.).
Education and the reproduction of social inequality ( the education and social structure of society; education, cultural richness and the reprodution of social inequalities, etc.).
Equality and possibilities of education (women, ethnic communities, socially marginalized groups and the equality of getting an education; the equality of approach, participation and educational achievements; ethnic minorities).
School as an organization and social institution : the class as a micro-social system.
The society of knowledge, globalisation processes, changes in the educational system.
The integration of Europe and the European educational system (countries of the European Union and countries in transition).
The development and structure of the Croatian educational system.
Globalisation, European integration and the Croatian educational system.
- M. Haralambos, M. Holborn: Sociologija. Teme i perspektive
- N. Pastuović: Edukologija. Integrativna znanost o sustavu cjeloživotnog obrazovanja i odgoja
- I. Cifrić: Ogledi iz sociologije obrazovanja
- S. Flere (ur.): Proturječja suvremenog obrazovanja. Ogledi iz sociologije obrazovanja
- A. C. Torres, A. Antikainen (editors): The International Handbook on the Sociology of Education. An International Assessment of New Research and Theory
- J. Demaine: Sociology of Education Today
- P. Freire: Pedagogy of the Oppressed
- J. McKenzie: Changing Education
- P. Bourdie, J. C. Passeron: Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture
- J. J. Coleman: Equality and Achievement in Education
- D. E. Campbell: Choosing Democracy: A Practical Guide to Multicultural Education
- J. P. Gavigan, M. Ottitsch, S. Mahroum: Knowledge and learning - towards a Learning Europe