Through lectures, seminars and exercises introduce students how to teach main characteristics of life and processes in the sea to the pupils, as well as their global importance, threats and need for its protection. After successfully passing the exam students will be able to use the acquired knowledge to successfully teach thematic units connected to the sea.
Lectures are thematically connected to seminars and exercises within the same week. On seminars and exercises, students design and practice the ways to teach and present these units to pupils.
1. Properties of the seawater. Geomorphology of the ocean
2. Movements of water masses. Global distribution of marine species and habitats. Methods of marine research
3. Peculiarities of marine life and processes in the sea
4. Ecological and evolutionary principles
5. Adaptation of organisms to life in the sea
6. Reproduction, distribution and migration
7. Plankton communities
8. Benthic communities
9. Productivity and food webs, matter cycling and energy flow
10. Life in the deep sea
11. Comparison between terrestrial and marine ecosystems
12. Biodiversity in the sea and its importance
13. Human impact on the sea and exploitation of marine bio-resources. Possibility for sustainable development of human activities connected to the sea
14. Peculiarities of the living world of the Adriatic Sea
15. Protection and preservation of the Adriatic Sea
- Interna skripta i prezentacije s predavanja
- Bakran-Petricioli, T. (2007): Morska staništa - Priručnik za inventarizaciju i praćenje stanja (serija Biološka raznolikost Hrvatske; ISBN 978-953-7169-31-2). Državni zavod za zaštitu prirode, Zagreb, 56 str. + 102 str. priloga
- Bakran-Petricioli, T. (2011): Priručnik za određivanje morskih staništa u Hrvatskoj prema Direktivi o staništima EU (ISBN 978-953-7169-84-8). Državni zavod za zaštitu prirode, Zagreb, 184 str.
- Castro, P & Huber, ME (2005) Marine Biology, McGraw Hill, New York, SAD
- Nybakken, JW & Bertness, MD (2005) Marine Biology: An Ecological Approach, Pearson-Benjamin Cummings Press, San Francisco, USA